firebroadside@gmail.com

Monday 13 September 2010

Troublesome Arachnids...

Monday, September 13, 2010

Share it Please
As I've mentioned earlier I started painting one of my Relthoza cruisers a couple of weeks ago to test out a colour sceme. The Relthoza ships are kind of tricky as there's no particular colour that jumps at you when you see them (at least not for me), but I decided to try a dark brown and grey combo. I didn't really like how it turned out so I put it away for a while pondering on how to proceed.

However I brought it out again today and continued experimenting with it. My biggest problem is with the big flat  "wings" as they're kind of hard to highlight. In the end I did it kind of slap-dash just to get a general idea of the final look.

I still didn't like it and had more or less settled on respraying and trying another configuration when I decided to try and use a grey wash on the brown areas. This worked pretty well, giving the miniature the more indistinct grey/brown colour that I'd wanted from the beginning. I'm still not entirely happy with it, but I've at least decided to postpone repainting. This is what it looks like at the moment:



The highlights and detailing are a bit hap hazardous, but you get the idea.

So, I'm kind of on the fence when it comes to this colour scheme and I'd love to hear any input or ideas about how it could be made better. Is it a scheme that can be salvaged or should I start again from scratch?


Oh, and it finally hit me why the Relthoza cruisers always have felt kind of familiar to me; they look very similar to the Minmataar Rupture cruiser from EVE online! Just look at this:

4 kommentarer :

  1. Hm, how's about if you'd make them yellow? Like some of the ships in Homeworld?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ships of Homeworld ARE beautiful, but I'm not sure yellow is the right way to got with Relthoza. Dindrenzi on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, this has been up for a while but I figure I'll mention it anyways. Why not highlight the light gray areas with a light blue or maybe a dark red? I think it would add just enough contrast to make it look very nice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Boshimi, sorry for the late reply. :)

    As you might have seen from the finished pictures elsewhere on the blog I decided agains the brown/grey mix and instead went with separate brown and grey areas instead. Similar, but more refined (although simpler in a way). I'm pretty happy with the result... although I don't see myself getting back into F:A anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...