firebroadside@gmail.com

Saturday 30 January 2010

Don't forget to wave hello to Mars!

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Share it Please
So Mars is currently in opposition which makes this an excellent opportunity to take a look at the night sky and wave hello to our red neighbour. It was closest to Earth on the 27th, at only 99 million kilometers, but it will still look basically the same until some time later next week.

You will be able to see it just next to the Moon as it shines really brightly in its rust red colour. You don't need a telescope, but if you have some binoculars handy grab those! Your next chance will be in 2014. Read more about the whole spectacle at Mars Daily.

This is what it looked like last night here in Saitama. Even with the cloud cover and all the light pollution there was no mistaking that red dot. And surprisingly I managed to snap this with my crappy little 5 megapixel pocket camera. Weee!

Speaking of Mars I thought I'd share this as well. I found it somewhere a while back and I really like how it manages to make a boring chart into something much more appealing!  



2 kommentarer :

  1. Hi,

    I have been following your blog from the very beginning (btw nice fleets for Full Thrust), I must say that you keep surprising me with your diversity in subjects ! Always a good and fun read tough, keep it up !

    Grtz
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! A veteran!

    That's great to hear! I usually just write about stuff I like and try to break up the painting stuff with some random ramblings now and then.

    And now I've discovered your blog as well! Looking forward to the read. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...